Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Equipment Review: Phenix RED Glass Crank Bait Rod

I just picked up my new Glass Cranking stick from the guys at Phenix and WOW was I impressed with the result. The first thing that I noticed was that the finish and wrap was just beautiful! I'm not a flashy guy, but this rod is gorgeous in the sun when its in your hand or on the deck. The material on the grips was a nice combination of French Cork (much less porous and will last longer) and a hybrid sponge.

Possibly the coolest feature is that the hook keeper is now located on the bottom of the rod on the exposed blank on the split grip (see photo 1 below), Now I can keep my reel covers on without getting them hung up on the hooks of my crankbait.

As far as performance, the top 1/3 of the rod is a great moderate action and very sensative. The sensativity is so great that you can feel everything upon retreive. I can feel grass, sand, gravel, rock or even the difference between the tick of a branch or a bite. However, the remainder of the rod with its larger diameter, provides plenty of backbone for hooksetting. The over-all action ensures a quality hookset without fear of pulling too hard and making those tear holes in the fish's mouth. Those tears, as we all know can bring heartbreak to a fishing day when the fish is able to use that to spit the hook(s). All you have to do when you feel a strike is crank the reel or even a sweeping motion to the opposite side of the strike. The rod does all the work!!

Now, many of you will ask the question "Yeah, but what about the weight difference of the glass rod versus the lighter materials used today?" My answer is this: With all of the benefit of this incredible stick, the barely noticable weight increase is a non issue in this angler's humble opinion. This is still a stick that you can crank all day and not worry about fatigue in any way. Put it this way, i'm currently 39 years old and bewteen the injuries from the military, ten years as a Police Officer and a competitive hockey player......I haven't fatigued in the two days throwing 1/4 oz baits. If you have any other questions, you can always comment or e-mail me and i'd be happy to answer what I can.

Hook Keeper Location




Sleek, Sexy and Powerful!

Exposed Blank with Trigger!

No comments:

Post a Comment